Understanding the Benefits of Electrolysis for Unwanted Hair Removal
We’ll be the first to admit that people can be a little shy about talking about hair removal. Unwanted hair can create self-consciousness that can stop some from engaging in intimate relationships and keep others from expressing themselves. It is a very personal part of our grooming routine and we think it is important to remember it’s something that nearly everyone struggles with. And because many people don’t openly talk about it, most don’t understand all the options available when it comes to hair removal. In fact, most popular ideas of hair removal exist only in silly movie scenes or clichés, such as:
- Steve Carell’s character getting his chest waxed in The 40-Year-Old Virgin
- Carrie Bradshaw getting a bikini wax in Sex & The City
- Personal memories of over plucking your eyebrows in high school (especially if you were in high school in the 90’s), or even worse – bad experiences with removing unwanted hair from your body from someone you felt was a professional
Not only do such images from pop culture give waxing services a bad rap, but they totally ignore the other end of the hair removal scale: electrolysis.
Helping our guests to feel confident and beautiful in their own skin is a goal for all of us at Sanctuary Spa. That’s why we offer electrolysis to our guests. It is safe, effective and the only method approved by the United States Food & Drug Administration (FDA) for permanent removal of hair, as opposed to temporary hair removal. For most, it will take 3 to 7 visits to permanently remove hair. Our team of experienced technicians are trained to make your experience as pleasant as possible.
What is Electrolysis?
Your esthetician will remove the unwanted hair at the root by using heat from an electric current. Electrolysis can be used to remove hair from nearly every part of your body – your face, back, underarms, breasts, legs, and more.
Want to know more? We thought you would.
How Does Electrolysis Work?
The process itself is simple:
- A tiny, sterile needle (about the size of a single hair) is inserted into an individual hair follicle.
- The probe is pre-packaged, pre-sanitized, and disposable.
- The skin is not punctured or harmed.
- The esthetician sends a very small amount of electrical current through the probe.
- The electricity destroys the hair follicle by damaging the root of the dermal papilla, which causes the hair to stop growing.
As simple as that sounds, the time of an electrolysis treatment is determined by exactly how much hair you want removed from your body and where on your body that hair is. Some people don’t feel much pain at all with electrolysis. For the rest, we can start the service with a numbing cream to make the process as comfortable as possible. From there, it’s about how long you’re comfortable doing the service. Given hair is growing at different rates, most guests will need to come in multiple times to completely rid an area of hair growth.
The good news, today’s technology allows for more speed and comfort than ever before.
What are the Benefits of Electrolysis?
Simply put – it’s a permanent solution for most. Electrolysis can remove unwanted hair, leaving the guest celebrating the time and convenience of less shaving, waxing, tweezing, or plucking. Electrolysis has the highest success rate for permanent hair removal compared to other hair removal treatments. While it may take a few times to catch the hair in the right growth pattern to eliminate the hair at the follicle, electrolysis is the most effective hair removal type for the widest range of skin and hair types and colors. Over the long run, the process will still be more cost-effective than the costs and hassle of repeated waxing and shaving.
At Sanctuary Spa, you may schedule your electrolysis services based on time. For example, we offer electrolysis sessions in 5-, 15-, 30-, and 60-minute timeframes, which means you decide how much you need and when. Our guests who have sensitive skin enjoy having such a variety of session lengths because it allows them the flexibility to address multiple body parts, if they want, as well as manage their time best. As well, as you progress with your treatments, you’ll experience that you need less time to finish.
For example, if you come in for your first time to address your legs, you may start at a 30-minute session. But as you continue your treatments, you’ll notice that at some point you’ll only need 15 minutes to address the remaining hair and then 5 minutes. Rather than continue to charge the service for your legs, we’re able to adjust the price to fit the service you need.
Why is it Important That Electrolysis Has FDA Approval?
Fans of electrolysis love that the practice has received approval from the US Food and Drug Administration as the only permanent way to have hair removed. It’s nice to know that the treatment you are signing up for is the one with the best and most consistent track record for permanent hair removal.
How Does Electrolysis Work at Sanctuary Spa?
Our skilled estheticians will perform the treatment described above, but we also provide you with an unparalleled day spa experience. Our goal is to put you at ease during your electrolysis treatments so that you receive the maximum benefit from the procedure with the least amount of discomfort.
- The moment you enter the doors of Sanctuary Spa, you’re instantly transported away from the stresses of daily life, courtesy of our signature aromatherapy scent.
- After signing in, you’re whisked away to our relaxation lounge, where you can enjoy some light refreshments, snacks, and some time in one of our massage chairs.
- When your esthetician arrives and takes you to the room, they will start with a brief consultation to ensure they understand your goals, your history with hair removal and answer any questions you may have.
- We do our best to manage your comfort. We have soothing spa music playing and can apply numbing cream to address any pain.
- And since our sessions are time-based, you remain in complete control over how and when you want to end.
Our ultimate goal is your happiness with your results.
What Else Should I Know About Electrolysis?
- Electrolysis is not very painful for most, and Sanctuary Spa tries to make it as comfortable as possible. Some people may experience some mild redness and tenderness immediately after a treatment. But most people are able to have the service with only a mild level of discomfort.
- Electrolysis is the only hair removal method that can be permanent. No other process can claim this status – including laser hair removal (which the FDA describes as “hair reduction”).
Ready to discover the joys and benefits of electrolysis in your life? Visit Sanctuary Spa today to schedule your treatment or give us a call at 713-622-7722.